Savitri Phule Pune University (SPPU), accredited by the University Grants Commission, conducts the Maharashtra State Eligibility Test (MH SET) to select candidates for the post of Assistant Professor across various government colleges and universities in the states of Maharashtra and Goa.
MH SET is a state-level examination where the following subjects are covered:
- Social Sciences
- Physical Education
Table of Contents
Why MH SET? And what is the use of the MH SET exam?
The University Grants Commission, announced a new pay scale for teachers in colleges and universities in accordance with the Fourth Pay Commission, which made it mandatory for the candidates to pass the Eligibility Test conducted by the UGC in addition to the minimum qualification already required. Since the number of candidates applying for the post of Assistant Professors is huge, the UGC has given permission to the State Governments or any State Agency to conduct the State Eligibility Test for Assistant Professors, but with one condition – that it must be accredited by the UGC.
The exam preparation of a candidate will be judged on the basis of cracking the Maharashtra State Eligibility exam cut off and possessing other academic qualifications as required by the UGC, will be eligible to be appointed as Assistant Professors in Government colleges and universities across the states of Maharashtra and Goa. It is to be noted that such candidates can not apply in any other state.
MH SET Eligibility
Age: There is no upper age limit for appearing in the MH SET examination.
- Candidates must have completed their post-graduation from a university recognized by the UGC in a subject mentioned above.
- The candidates who are studying in the first year of a two-year Master’s degree or the fourth year of a five-year integrated Master’s degree are not eligible to appear for this test.
- Candidates can appear for SET in the subject of their Postgraduate Degree only.
- A candidate who has already cleared SET in one subject will not be allowed to appear again for SET in the same subject.
- The candidates other than SC/ST/OBC/SBC/DT/(VJ)/NT/Transgender category, who have completed their post-graduation or equivalent scoring 55% marks, are eligible for this test.
- The candidates who have passed M.Sc. (by PPPR/ Research) are not eligible for the SET, as per the UGC rules.
Can Candidates from other states apply for MH SET?
- Candidates from all the states in India are eligible to appear for MH SET.
- Only Indian citizens can apply for the MH SET Exam.
Note: Aspirants from the state of Goa also need to take the MH SET. Goa does not conduct a separate SET.
MH SET Exam Pattern
The SET will be conducted in Objective Mode. The test consists of two papers. The papers will contain objective type questions only and will be conducted on the same day in different sessions:
|Session||Paper||Number of Questions||Duration|
|I||50 questions, all of which are compulsory||1hr|
|Second||II||100 questions, all of which are compulsory||2hr|
- There will be no negative marking.
- The selection method will consist of two rounds.
- Those that have cleared the written test are going to be invited for an interview to be held during the ultimate round of selection.
- The selection of candidates will be based on cut-off marks, and people attaining higher scores are going to be eligible for the next round. After clearing all the steps, candidates will be eligible to be appointed as Assistant Professors.
To prepare in a structured manner, join BYJU’S Exam Prep.