What is an Apigenin Supplement
Associated with a large number of benefits, apigenin supplement is a flavonoid that can be found in parsley, celery and chamomile. If the vivid colors of some vegetables catch your attention, you should know that this is partly due to the flavonoids. These phytonutrients, in addition to flavor and color, generate an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect . Apigenin supplement is made up of one of these chemical compounds and can be found in fruits, vegetables, and spices, with the main sources being parsley , celery, and chamomile.
Apigenin supplement flavonoid is also noted for promoting heart health, increasing brain function, and relieving anxiety and depression. We show you what you should know about this important phytochemical.
Uses and benefits of Apigenin Supplement
Apigenin supplements offer a large number of health benefits. Let’s see what each one is about in detail.
1. It is a natural antioxidant
According to research published in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences , apigenin is rich in antioxidants, compounds that promote healthy skin and healthy aging.
For this reason, when applied topically, it is able to fight acne and stimulate the growth of skin cells. In addition, it exhibits highly effective anti-inflammatory properties when compared with any other flavonoid.
2. It has antimicrobial properties
A study published in BioMed Research International suggests that apigenin can fight antibiotic-resistant bacteria and reverse that resistance in some cases. It is believed that this flavonoid could be a new antibiotic or, alternatively, a dietary supplement that improves the function of these drugs.
3. Improves heart health
A study in rodents with heart damage found apigenin to have cardioprotective effects. Similarly, other studies found that flavonoids prevent future heart attacks in rodents by decreasing cell death, edema, and oxidative stress.
4. Boost brain function
There is scientific evidence that apigenin is capable of stimulating cognition. Compared to mice with Alzheimer’s, the study demonstrated that memory and learning deficits were improved.
Similarly, a study published in the International Journal of Biological Sciences showed that apigenin glucopyranoside was able to improve neurological outcomes and decrease neuronal death in rodents suffering from strokes.
5. Relieves anxiety and depression
According to a study published in Biochemical Pharmacology , the phytochemical is capable of lowering cortisol levels , which prevents the body from reacting unfavorably with anxiety, insomnia, and muscle pain due to chronic stress. Likewise, research in rodents showed that it can help relieve depression.
Other possible benefits
There are other ways apigenin supplement can contribute to health. Discover them below:
- It would help treat diabetes: an animal study found that apigenin can help patients with diabetes, since it is capable of reducing insulin resistance.
- Increases testosterone levels: According to research published in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry , apigenin is involved in the process of testosterone synthesis and prevents the signaling of proteins that reduce this hormone.
- Improves skin health – A study of 40 women showed that apigenin cream is capable of increasing skin elasticity, reducing the length of wrinkles, and reducing damage caused by ultraviolet (UV) radiation..